Monday, April 30, 2012

Disciplining at 2 year old heart...


I really don't know how to do this... :) Just like almost everything else about being a Mom that I've had to learn... like for instance, I keep saying that I am going to start potty training Jada but I just can't bring myself to do it...I don't fully know how but really I just don't want to start :)

There are some times when we use the "spoon" on Jada and it doesn't even seem to phase her. I don't think I've ever seen a child who enjoys putting herself in time out like Jada...so that doesn't even work sometimes. I want Jada to obey when I ask her to do something, but most of the time it doesn't happen UNLESS I threaten with the spoon...I am trying to learn to be patient and not get irritated when I have to repeat myself over and over-does she really not understand? Or just not listening?

She has started to ask the question "WHY?" which feels like a totally different ballgame! :)

I have been asking the Lord for wisdom cause He is the one who has great insight into her heart. He knows how to ALWAYS dicipline out of love and He ALWAYS sees the heart behind it all. I know Jada gets tired of hearing "no" and "stop" all the time so I'm trying to use positive reinforcement where possible... but that is hard sometimes when my patience is low...

She is not allowed to hit out of anger when she doesn't get what she wants (and she will get a time out for them) but how do you rightly display anger? How is she supposed to respond when she doesn't get what she really wants? I know that throwing herself on the floor is NOT okay but what is she supposed to do with all of these real feelings? She doesn't know Jesus yet so she can't talk to Him about the "injustice" she feels...so what is she supposed to do? These are the things I need insight into :)

Jada is also not a big eater. We have had to work with her to eat enough that she wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night hungry. Its been a BIG pain! We have found that making a big deal by saying yeah and clapping loudly really helps after each bite she eats, it works better than bribing with chocolate or the spoon, but again is a lot of work :) So lately I've just let her be... It seems to be working okay... If she could she would drink warm milk for every meal and snack and that's it :) but it has to be warm!

Jesus you say that if any of us lacks wisdom that all we have to do is ask and you will give it...I am asking :)

1 comment:

  1. So totally hear you on this. Just a quick note on the food thing. We started mixing it up by allowing milo to eat with different tools than normal. He will eat anything with a toothpick (which probably isn't the safest but hey). We also skewer food or let him eat out of different types of "bowls" like muffin tins or big people bowls. Straws are great too for different drinks and smoothies. I know too that it's hard to be creative and think outside the box when your stressing out. So deep breaths and planning and some days locking yourself in the closet and yelling at the cobwebs is all that works. :) good luck and much wisdom to you...

    ReplyDelete